Introduction and Feedback
- Julie Piper, an engineer at C Labs and the host of the Celo Tech Talk series, welcomes everyone and thanks them for joining.
- The Celo Tech Talk series aims to share knowledge about Celo technology with the growing Celo community.
- Julie encourages participants to provide feedback on the Tech Talks and suggest topics they would like to be covered.
Introduction to Barbara
- Barbara, the Developer Experience Engineering Lead at C Labs, introduces herself.
- She mentions that she lives in Utah and enjoys outdoor activities like skiing and hiking.
- Barbara explains her role at C Labs, which involves building tools for developers and ensuring a good developer experience.
- She encourages participants to provide feedback, connect on Discord or GitHub, and reach out to her on Twitter.
Recap of Part 1
- Julie provides a brief recap of the previous session, which focused on setting up the development environment for Celo.
- The session was designed to bring participants from different programming backgrounds on the same page.
- She mentions that the instructions and slides from the previous session are available for reference.
- Participants are encouraged to continue following along with the workshop even if they haven’t completed the setup.
Agenda for Part 2
- The agenda for the current session includes a recap of Part 1 and a discussion about the front-end part of DApp development.
- The core functionality of the DApp involves reading and viewing the state, which differs between web 2 and web 3 applications.
- Barbara explains the concept of escrow and its importance in smart contracts.
- She mentions that Ethereum is the most widely used blockchain for smart contracts.
- The session will cover the basics of contract development, including inheritance and interacting with other contracts.
Development Environment Setup
- Barbara walks participants through the process of setting up the development environment.
- She explains the use of tools like Truffle, Ganache, and Solidity compiler.
- Participants are guided on how to create a new project, set the compiler version, and create contract files.
- The process of deploying contracts to the blockchain and writing tests is discussed.
Test Writing and Deployment
- Participants are shown how to ensure that the contract is deployed on the blockchain before running tests.
- The importance of placing the contract on the blockchain is emphasized.
Conclusion and Future Sessions
- Julie concludes the session and mentions that there will be another session after the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Participants are encouraged to stay tuned for future sessions that will cover more advanced contract development.