Secure and Trustworthy Randomness Generation for Celo dApps through Chainlink VRF Integration

This proposal focuses on ensuring secure and unbiased randomness generation for decentralized applications (dApps) on the Celo platform by integrating Chainlink’s Verifiable Random Function (VRF). By incorporating Chainlink VRF, developers can generate on-chain random numbers that are provably fair and tamper-resistant, enabling a wide range of applications such as gaming, lotteries, and random selection processes. This proposal provides a technical overview of integrating Chainlink VRF into Celo smart contracts, highlighting the benefits of secure randomness for building reliable and transparent dApps on Celo.

6 Likes

Yeah, oracle are fairly good just like Chainlink’s. But you also want to be very careful as Oracles contributes to most hackings. Chainlink can be trusted to some extent since they use a network of node operators that relay data. Using the word unbias is an exaggeration. As a developer, you’d want to have more than one oracle integrated into your dapp to be safe a bit when querying data such as price fields. Chainlink is good but as a dev, be more smarter.

10 Likes

Your perception that unbiased randomness generation is an exaggeration or unachievable in decentralized applications is false , because while achieving perfect unbiased randomness may be challenging in practice protocols such as Verifiable Random Functions (VRFs) have proven to significantly reduce the potential for bias and manipulation, creating a more trustworthy environment for dApp users. It provides a level playing field for all participants, promoting fairness and transparency in the application’s operations.

6 Likes

You got it wrong bro. This is my perception and you called it false. As far as I read about Oracles and the risks involved, no software is perfect, it can only try to be ahead of hackers. Oracles has undoubtedly improve the web3 atmosphere. I have used Chainlink oracle severally in my projects. Even as secure as blockchain is, it can be hacked. Are you aware of that? Just that the chance is very tiny. So oracles use node operators. They are also susceptible to attack but the chance may only be small. If you’re making researches, also endevaor to explore their weaknesses.

11 Likes

Any blockchain can be hacked , we have to keep it in mind that as secured as it may seem vulnerabilities may still arise. When i say ‘Unbias’ i mean that the process of generating random values is not influenced by any external factors or manipulated in favor of certain outcomes, However, while it is challenging to achieve absolute certainty in randomness, cryptographic and consensus-based mechanisms are designed to minimize the possibility of manipulation or hacking.

7 Likes