ERC-20 Token with a Limited Supply

Introduction

Solidity is the primary language for writing smart contracts on the Celo blockchain. In this challenge, you will create a basic ERC-20 token with a limited supply.

Problem Statement

Create an ERC-20 token with the following requirements:

1. The token should have a name, a symbol, and a total supply of tokens that are pre-minted and assigned to the creator of the contract.
  2. The contract should comply with the ERC-20 standard, including totalSupply, balanceOf, transfer, transferFrom, approve, and allowance functions.
  3. The contract should also include a burn function, allowing a user to destroy some of their own tokens, reducing the total supply.
  4. A mint function should be present but can only be called by the contract creator and should respect the maximum supply limit.
  5. The maximum supply of the token should be limited to 1 million tokens.

Hints

1. You can start by defining the state variables for the token name, symbol, total supply, and balances of each address.
  2. You will need to use the msg.sender global variable to assign the total supply to the contract creator.
  3. The transfer function should check that the sender has enough tokens to send, subtract the amount from the sender’s balance, and add it to the recipient’s balance.
  4. The approve function allows a certain address to spend a certain amount of tokens on behalf of the owner.
  5. The transferFrom function should check that the spender has enough of an allowance to send the tokens, then do the same as the transfer function.
  6. The burn function should check that the burner has enough tokens to burn, then subtract the burned amount from their balance and the total supply.
  7. The mint function should increase the total supply and the balance of the minter, but only if the minter is the contract creator and the total supply won’t exceed the maximum supply.

Evaluation Criteria

• Correctness: The contract should compile without errors and fulfill all the requirements.
  • Readability: The contract should be well-documented, with comments explaining the code.
  • Testability: You should also provide examples of how to test each function of the contract.

Please note that handling real assets on a blockchain requires extreme care and extensive testing. This challenge is a simple exercise and doesn’t cover aspects such as security, efficiency, and upgradability, which are essential for a real-world token contract.

For the complete understanding of Celo smart contracts, ERC-20 standard, and Solidity, please refer to the Celo documentation and the Solidity language documentation.

Submission

Please reply with a link to your PR including your token contract on GitHub - celo-academy/ERC-20-Token-with-a-Limited-Supply: https://celo.academy/t/erc-20-token-with-a-limited-supply/1566, along with any notes or comments you think are necessary to understand your design and choices. Also, provide a brief explanation about how each function of the contract should be tested.

7 Likes

Can advanced-stage developers attempt this exercise?

4 Likes

@Bensonn @Longzea this is open to everyone

3 Likes

@bobelr - yup this is really just a test to see if it works and anyone would be interested to try them. If so I’ll start putting more of these together and can try bringing in contributors to make them too. I think it could be a cool way to bring people in with daily puzzles and prizes.

5 Likes

Yeah, Ideally, most developers who desire to grow would jump on something of that nature. I have no doubt this will attract a lot of attention.

2 Likes

@Celo_Academy Here is a link to my PR Init commit by bobeu · Pull Request #2 · celo-academy/ERC-20-Token-with-a-Limited-Supply · GitHub

4 Likes

I like this!

2 Likes